By all accounts letterpress is a dying art - some may even think it's already dead! But it has survived because the people who love it have passed their knowledge and skills onto others.
And so now we want to share letterpress with you!
Our first workshop is all about the basics and we try to keep it as simple and easy to understand as possible. In this first level class, we walk you through all of the steps of making a letterpress poster - and you get to walk away with 10 copies of it!
WHO - To offer a more individualized experience and make the most of our time and resources, we will be limiting each workshop to up to 3 participants. There is no experience necessary and all ages are welcome!
WHERE - Base Camp Printing Co. is located at 613 Tennessee Ave in the Historic Elk City District of Charleston, WV.
WHEN - Workshops will take place on either Sunday or Monday (when the shop is closed) at 2:00 pm. They will be about 2-3 hours long.
1. Pick a short phrase, meaningful quote, or any other text under 30 words to print on their poster. The poster will be an area up to 12x18"
2. Plan out their design and decide on a layout for their poster.
3. Pick the type. Choose from our collection of wood and metal type to bring your design to life! Size, typeface, and the mix of fonts is up to you.
4. Makeready the press. Set the type and put everything in place to begin printing your poster.
5. Choose the ink color and mix the ink.
6. Run the press and print your posters! We will be using our Vandercook press for this workshop which is over 50 years old
Interested in a workshop? Email email@example.com to set up a date!